Friday, November 19, 2010

Woohoo!

My first mitered corner blanket! I am so new at this, but luckily I have a very talented sister to help me (Thanks alison!) Im very excited about this first project with my new sewing machine (thanks mom!) One of my friends is having a babyshower tomorrow and I am super excited about this gift- I made the 40X40swaddling blanket and put the rest of the stuff together- everything related to sleep.I am a firm believer of swaddling snd we even still wrap Hailey because when we do she knows its time for bed/naps. Since she's older she comes unwrapped but she still loves to be wrapped up when we lay her down. I believe it is important to teach good sleep habits from the start and swaddling has certainly been a big factor in doing so. It helps that the blanket is double sided flannel because it stays in place. Hailey is 16 months and she sleeps 12 hours a night (occasionally will wake up but only if her diaper leaks or sometimes during teething periods) and she still takes a couple naps a day. She is such a happy child. I would venture to guess that healthy sleep habits does infact contribute to a happy child. She just learned how to pose and say cheese, giving us the biggest cheesiest smile possible. We love this girl to peices!



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, way to go!
Very impressive.

But crap - now I think I'm the only girl in the fam now that can't sew ;)

Carrie said...

Ditto to that...we sleep trained Nicholas from two weeks and he's been a perfect sleeper. That's one thing I'm adamant on too is that they learn how to sleep and sleep well. We swaddled Nicholas until he was 4 months old and basically made him teach himself to put himself back to sleep when he woke up. And we're so much better off since we get our sleep too. So way to go...that's great!!!

Annie said...

Awesome! What a great gift basket! I think you or Al or mom need to post a tutorial on how to do the mitered corners.

Aud, it's not too late... besides, I just putter around on the sewing machine. There's nothing to that.

Unknown said...

I agree Al should put a tutorial up of the mitered corners just so I can ever do it again. Ha I dont think I would get it right if I tried it again. :-) I really cant sew Aud so dont worry I am such a newbie. Alison had to teach me everything even as basic as threading the needle and winding the bobbin just to get the machine ready to sew.

Debora said...

So...I've never done the mitered corners either. Good job Ash and Al. You might have to share your sewing machine with Al- she got a bouncing froggy instead :)

mikensi said...

YAY FOR HEALTHY SLEEP HABITS! i can't believe you still swaddle her! jae doesn't like blankets at all; maybe when he's older. i think the prime habit forming blanket time was when we were in hawaii... he didn't need one.. anyway, that's awesome hailey still takes a couple of naps a day... jae's down to 1. but it's nice! and, good job on the blanket! looks comfy :D

Emily said...

I am so impressed. I saw that you called me the other day but figured it could have been a misdial. Anyway isn't magical to put fabric together. So fun. Hope all is well. Call me again.